How to Use a Crystal Grid
Creating a Crystal Grid
Crystal grids can be simple, or they can be quite complex. They can focus on a specific intention or be more general in nature.
Determine Your Intention
Before you begin, decide what it is you intend with your grid. Focus on a single intention for the layout. If you try to focus on too many desires at once in grid work, you risk sending confusing messages to the universe. If you wish, write the intention as a positive statement of already having achieved that which you want. For example, for a layout focused on prosperity, you might write, “I give thanks that I am prosperous.”
Choose a Sacred Geometric Layout
In gridwork, the crystals are laid out into sacred geometric shapes. The meaning behind these shapes amplifies and supports the intention of the stones in the grid.
- A circle spreads energy evenly and supports unity, oneness, and wholeness.
- A vesica piscis – two overlapping circles – represents creativity, balance, and symmetry.
- A spiral represents an unfolding spiritual path.
- An infinity sign represents the infinite universe.
- A heart represents love.
Of course, these are just a few of many shapes you can use. You can create a multiple layered mandala, flower and seed of life shapes, the Kabbalistic tree of life, or even meaningful symbols such as Om or a pentagram. It can even simply be a layout you find appealing. What matters is your intention behind the shape you choose.
It may be helpful if you’re using complex grids to find a template online or in a coloring book, print it, and use that as the basis for your crystal layout. You can also find pre-printed crystal grid layout cloths at crystals and metaphysical shops.
Choose a Focus Stone
The focus stone is the crystal at the very center of your layout, and you’ll only use one. This is the main purpose of your grid, or your primary intention. It is the core of what you want your grid to represent and draw to you.
The stone can be big or small, rough or polished, and it can even be carved into a meaningful shape if you feel that further supports your intention. For example, for a crystal grid focused on romantic love, you might choose a rose quartz stone carved into a heart shape.
Some focus stones you can use for your grids include the following:
- Citrine for prosperity
- Amber for joy
- Tigers eye for self-esteem
- Rose quartz for love and relationships
- Blue calcite academic success
- Carnelian to spark creativity
- Celestite to help reduce criticism and judgment
- Lapis lazuli to speak your truth
- Aquamarine for creative expression
- Turquoise for general health
- Amethyst for guidance
- Morganite for psychic inspiration
- Apache tears for grief
- Garnet for passion
- Hematite for grounding
- Black tourmaline for protection
- Malachite for forgiveness
- Blue lace agate for peace
- Kunzite for compassion
- Phenacite for connection to the Divine
These are just suggestions. If you’re drawn to a certain crystal as a focus stone, by all means use it!
Choose Desire Stones
In the layers around your focus crystal, you’ll place your desire stones. These are the gems that help refine or fine tune your intention. For example, if your center stone is carnelian for creative ideas, then you may want to have as your desire stones garnet for passion and aquamarine for creative expression.
You can form as many layers of focus stones around your desire crystal as you choose. I find it’s helpful to be less specific with your desire stones instead of extremely precise. Here’s why: I feel when you are too specific with your intentions, you may limit what the universe can bring you.
Instead, focus your desire stones on how you want to feel once you achieve your intention. For example, if your intention is to forgive someone, then think of how you wish to feel with forgiveness. You might want to feel peace or compassion as a result of forgiving another. In that case, you could add desire stones to your grids that support these feelings, such as blue lace agate and kunzite.
Choose Your Directional Stones
Directional stones are crystals that go around the perimeter of your grid. These are a single outer layer that encircles the layout. The directional layer is optional.
Typically, the perimeter crystals are used for one of three purposes:
- To amplify the energy of your grid (mostly by using clear quartz)
- To contain the energy of your grid (black tourmaline is good for this)
- To send the energy in a specific direction by using crystal points either gathering energy from the universe and sending it into the grids (points pointing towards the grid) or sending grid energy out into the universe (points facing outward from the grid)
Choose a Location
Next, think about where you’d like to locate your grid. For example, if your grid is for prophetic dreams, it makes sense to put it under your bed. If it’s for work success, you might place it on your desk.
Lay Out Your Grid
Finally, it’s time to bring it all together. Mindfully with your intention at the forefront of your thoughts, lay out your grid as planned. If you feel drawn to alter your planned layout, do so. You may wish to visualize or affirm as you set your crystals, or you can use laying out your grid as a form of mindfulness meditation.
Tips for Crystal Grid Work
- Use freshly cleansed crystals.
- Cleanse your crystals and reset your grid at least weekly, more frequently if it’s working hard for you.
- Write affirmations associated with your intention and place them on your grid under your focus and desire stones.
- Grids are impermanent. Make your grid a living record of your intention. As your intention evolves and changes, so should your grid.
- Feel free to add other meaningful materials to your grids. I’ve used flowers, shells, sea glass, and more. Your grid is for you, so follow your intuition to create something you find inspiring and beautiful.
There’s No Wrong Way to Create a Crystal Grid
I find grid work to be highly intuitive. While the above are guidelines for creating crystal grids, listen to your Divine guidance system. Trust yourself and work intuitively to create grids. That have meaning for you.